Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Excerpt from "Perpetual Love"

It was unbearably hot. . .Anne had gone to Topaz Lake to cool off, even though Albert had warned her about going alone because of the indians that were in the area. Anne of course ignored him. Albert went after her. This is what transpired. . .

At the sound of his voice, her head snapped toward the shore. "Albert!" she screamed, trying to cover her chest and below her waist at the same time. "Just what do you think you're doing? You, you Peeping Tom!
"I'm not a Peeping Tom," he replied, a grin crossing his face, his back still to her.
Furious, she stomped out of the lake, yelling at him, "What would you call it, watching a lady swim and then waiting until she got out of the water just so you could. . ."
All he could think of to say was, "I am not a Peeping Tom and I wasn't looking at you."
"Well, I don't know what they call it out here, but in England and everywhere else I've been, you're a Peeping Tom," she raged, trying to gather her clothes while he was standing in the middle of them.
"I am not a Peeping Tom!" he yelled, and then quietly added, "I didn't see anything." He was furious that he had to keep declaring his innocence.
Ann continued to rant as she struggled to put her clothes on over her wet body, "I can't believe I could not even come here for a little privacy without being leered at by some cowboy! Good Lord! You act as though you've never seen a woman before!"
"I've seen many women, Anne," he said slowly with a smile, "just very few so scantily clad."

No comments:

Post a Comment