Saturday, October 13, 2012

Meet Jamallah Bergman, Author of Special Kind of Woman


Help me welcome Jamallah Bergman, author of Special Kind of Woman.

Jamie:  Tell us a bit about yourself that readers might not know. . .
Jamallah:  Well I am a single mother of a teenage girl. I am almost 40 but I act more like my shoe size almost. I was born in New York but I was mainly raised down South in Alabama and eventually Georgia where I reside. I enjoy having fun and meeting new people from online and most that I have talked with and have the honor to meet in person have always had glowing remarks about me. I like to be treated just like how I treat others with kindness and respect. When you are a friend of mine, I will always be a friend for life.
Jamie:  What made you decide to become a writer?
Jamallah:  Well I’ve always loved to write, I think I get it from my father, who was an artist in his own. He loved to draw and write poetry. I started to write when I was in my teens, I would write short stories here and there but it wasn’t until I got older that my stories became more explicit. Most of my friends told me that I was great and at one time I had put up a webpage with some of my short stories on it. It wasn’t until I started getting into writer’s websites that I got to meet fellow authors as well.
I got the chance one day to meet a very good friend of mine who I credit to getting me into having my work published, Mike Arsuaga. I had talked with him about how I had been trying to get my story out there for folks to read for a number of years and I hadn’t had the chance. He told me about Secret Cravings Publishing and stated that they were always looking for people to publish their work. So I gave it a try and that is when my first book “If….Only You Knew” came out in November 2011.


Jamie:  What do you write and what made you decide to go with that genre?
Jamallah:   For right now it’s mainly Interracial, either Contemporary or Erotica. I would like to spread out to other genres in the future but for now I am comfortable with Interracial mainly because it’s a subject that I am very much into and fond of. Even though in the past it was strictly taboo, today in 2012 its very much accepted in some places but not all. I think that the union of two people regardless of their race and the factors they might have had to do to overcome their union is something to write about and I love writing about it.
Jamie:  Where do you get your story ideas?
Jamallah:  Mainly from life experiences, my  first  book “If Only You Knew” was basically about myself and the problems I had with letting someone who meant so much to me in my life when we were in high school and I never got the chance to let him know how much I felt. My second book “The Lady of Gladstone Manor” deals with a woman who has had to overcome a life of seclusion due to an affliction that was not of her own doing but by someone else. I have had to deal with physical problems in my life so I put as much of myself into the heroine Brooke Langley. Also I get good ideas from either old movies that I enjoy watching (big old movie buff here) or either from pictures of very handsome looking men aka “eye candy”.
Jamie:  What type of hero/heroine do you like best?
Jamallah:  As far as a hero, he has to be handsome as well as strong who finds a woman that he knows is the one for him. Plus a man who isn’t afraid to cry, I know some of the men that I write about do get a bit emotional because of the fact that they love the woman so much. Honestly if a man can’t cry, in my eyes they just aren’t human emotionally.
For my heroine, she has to be strong as well as stubborn at times when warranted and even the ones that are a bit shy and uncomfortable with themselves,  because honestly those are the ones that I can relate to.  
Jamie:  Tell us about a typical day in your life as a writer.
Jamallah:  Well I get up, get the kid ready for school ( she’s in high school right now) and take her off to school. If I have errands or appointments, I go to them. Then I come home and get online, check my mail and say my hello’s online to my friends on Facebook and then I commence to writing.
Jamie:  Do you have to be alone to write?
Jamallah:  Sometimes, it depends on whether or not I have to get some work done, then often I do like to write alone. I don’t mind a little bit of distraction at time but if I am really into something that I know needs to be written and my muse will not let me stop doing so, then I must be alone when doing it.
Jamie:  Tell us about your current project.
Jamallah:  Right now I am promoting my third book “Special Kind of Woman” which came out September 28th. It’s a story that has taken a lot to get out (mainly edits and delays) but the finished product is what you see before you. I got the idea for this story from a topic that isn’t heard of much nowadays but I thought would make for a good story. There is a thing called a “Pig Party” which was started back in college days, where a frat would bring the most “homely, ugliest basically unattractive woman” to the party. Whoever brings the right girl to the party and then they will win. Well even though the thought of this was something that I knew would strike a chord with some, I thought it would make for a interesting story. Hence “Special Kind of Woman” was written. It deals with Collin Noonan, a man who is a young executive of his firm, who is envied by his coworkers and friends only to be loved by the many women he has took to his bed. For years he’s played “the game” and has won until he decides to pick Regina Talbot, a commonly mail clerk from the building who is as shy as she is timid around men. The attraction between the two is slow at first but eventually does come to be but as with most stories, obstacles come between the two. I honestly have to say that this story I do love very much because it will have you thinking and either loving or hating the characters within the book. That is what makes for a good book.
I also have another book coming out in October “Sorry….Wrong Number” which will be the start of my first series. Also I have another book that will be out in January 2013 called “The Biker Next Door”. Both books will honestly be something that will have people talking and thinking about.
Jamie:  Thanks Jamallah! You are certainly staying busy, and I will be looking forward to your upcoming book as well.

EXCERPT
When Friday came, they decided to go back to the park and have some more of Mrs. Ramona’s good food. After eating, they went for a walk again. “Regina, what are you doing tonight?”
Regina looked at him and shook her head. “Nothing much, I’ll probably just have something to eat and watch something on television. Why do you ask?”
“I was wondering if you would like to go out on a date with me tonight.”
Regina stopped in complete shock and Collin looked at her. She was trying to say something but the words seems to be choking her and she couldn’t get them out.
“Are you all right Regina?”
Walking over toward a swinging bench, she sat down and he took a seat beside her. “I’m sorry. I just had to sit down for a moment, I was getting lightheaded. Did you just ask me out on a date?”
“Yes, I wanted to know if you want to go out with me tonight,” Collin repeated. As she looked into his concerned eyes, knowing she had to calm down.
“I don’t know what to say. I never expected anyone to ask me out, especially someone like you,” Regina said trying to hold in a smile.
“Well, I have to say that I do like you, I mean you’re the nicest girl I’ve met and I consider you a friend. I would like to go out with you and show you a real good time tonight, so what do you say?”
Girl if you don’t take him up on his offer and go out with him, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life. Go for it!
“All right, what time will you be picking me up?” She smiled as he grinned back at her. He took a hold of her hand, which was the first time he had done that, and she found herself gripping it while they continued their walk that afternoon.

BUY LINKS
Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Special-Kind-of-Woman-ebook/dp/B009KBKZRS/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349211071&sr=1-3
ARE:
https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-specialkindofwoman-964708-149.html
Bookstrand:
 http://www.bookstrand.com/special-kind-of-woman



BIO
Jamallah Bergman was born in Jamaica Queens New York and first started to write small stories
when she was around 13. It wasn't until she was around 15 when she started to write about
romance after she read her first romantic novel. It wasn't until she got older when she started
to write erotica as well.

Jamallah writes about heroines who are full figured women since the fact that whenever she
would read some of the stories she liked so much, she always wondered why there weren't many
women like herself as the main character. So she started to write about heroines such as
herself, full figured women who only wanted to be loved and show their love to the right man.

In Ms. Bergman's spare time when she isn't writing, she enjoys cooking and collecting
cookbooks as well as Colbalt Blue Glass items. She resides in Atlanta Georgia with her teenage
daughter who is very artistic as well and loves draw and make little movies as well.




6 comments:

  1. Great interview, ladies! So nice to get a little background on the writers I like to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Jamie you do great interviews it does help that the subject is a favorite of mine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome interview ladies!!! Jamie you are a fantastic interviewer and it's nice to know a little more about Jamallah. You are both AMAZING!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really enjoyed your interview ladies, nice to know there are real life stories out there. i wish Jamallah all the best with her books, i like the excerpt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview ladies! It's nice to get to know some of my favorite people a little better. It's fun to hear how their stories develop and I enjoy reading the excerpts from my favorite authors books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Jamallah, I have known you for years but didn't know you collected cook books and cobalt blue glass. I collect them also! Loved your first book and am looking forward to reading the others!

    ReplyDelete