Monday, September 26, 2011

Shiny, Happy People. . .

I've been contemplating today's post for quite a while. One second I'm over the top wanting to get it written, the next I'm telling myself to just put my head back in the sand. What I've decided to do is write a homogenized version.
I'm a people watcher, always have been as I'm not an extrovert. I like to stay in the background,because I pick up things about people others usually don't. It has also been an invaluable tool for my writing. And I've been watching how writers, published and not deal with promoting themselves and their books. Some do it with money, some not. And for at least the near and present future I am in the latter. But my journey is unique.
I am very fortunate that I am able at this time in my life that my writing is my "full time job". And that's exactly how I treat it. But that's not how it's always been.
Over the past few years I've had to deal with over a half dozen foot surgeries and the health issues infections can bring on, along with a nasty, drawn out divorce. My surgeries have ended with a partial foot amputation. Now most people wouldn't view this as a disability, I sure don't. BUT, there are a lot of people who do. And my inability to stand on my feet for long lengths of time or walk like others. Well, all this has made me unemployable. I've spent YEARS trying to find a job with no luck. In the present economy I'm a statistic: I'm disabled and I'm an older worker. Two strikes! It was scary then and still is.
I've gone from being able to doing what I wanted to having to budget an embarrassing small amount of money every month.
So far though I'm prevailing and I will become a successful author, it just might not come as fast or as easy as it is for others.
Now, chew on all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment