Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Is There Any Etiquette For The Social Media Age?

In these days of being blitzed by all the social media, I am amazed one thing that seems to be missing or lacking. Etiquette. I am the first to admit that we're all on overload when it comes to balancing our lives. We're pulled in a dozen different directions.
  I don't expect every post I respond to on one of the various social networks, blogs or websites to be answered. Answering posts is personal.  Some writers on these various sites interact with their readers with great enthusiasm, while others may not respond at all. Hmmm, I wonder who will get increased readership and visibility? 
My biggest pet peeve however is folks who do not respond to their e-mail! Since this method of communication is taking over the post office's need to exist, it amazes me how lazy some are.  Make a schedule, set a block of time aside to go through and answer your e-mail if you don't have the time or can't do this on a daily basis. Once or twice a week would be fine.  Especially if you are a business or are promoting a service (which is a business). Even if you tell the person you're not interested. Respond! Answer their e-mail! Not only are you losing that person's business or potential business, you're losing anyone they might have referred to you. That spells money! $$$  Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment