Friday, May 20, 2011

A Learning Curve

This week has been a week of learning. I treat my writing like a job. I put aside a specific time period during a day to not only write, but to do advertising, etc. for my debut novel, "Perpetual Love". I knew that it wouldn't be easy. I have spent more hours than I care to admit trying to get this book knowon and read and still my sales are flat (but hey, it's only been out since 5/1/11).
I have discovered the website "Goodreads" and have downloaded the first chapter there. Once I get into editing my WIP (work in progress) that I've titled "Bloodlust" I will do the same, along with the sequel to Perpetual Love (which is done, but needs another good editing).
I  also use this blog, twitter and a author face book page to get not only my name out, but my book out.
Yesterday, I went to visit a dear friend of mine, who just happens to be a retired editor (and schoolteacher). I always come away from our meetings charged up with inspiration and ideas. In fact she has agreed to become one of my beta readers on my upcoming work. She is old school, so no computers (hers crashed) and everything will have to go to her  in hard copy form, which is still the way I edit and proof. Old habits are hard to break.
So, here's to all of us indies out there who are like sponges, soaking up information.

No comments:

Post a Comment